Make your own stunning HD portfolio. It's free.
Select how you want to sign up
Using e-mail and password
Using Facebook
I have an account and want to login
New to 1x? Create an account for free here
Forgot your password? Click here
Close
Wallpart stealing photos?
Posted 6 years ago
Hello everyone,

it has come to my attention that the page called Wallpart offers photography of many people without any kind of previous permission whatsoever. I've found my works by simply typing my name into their search engine and some of them seem to have come from 1x, some from online magazines, some - simply facebook.

So if you want to go and check, here is the link:

http://wallpart.com/

All the best,

Olga
Posted 6 years ago
Thanks for the heads up Olga

Another way to check for stolen images is TinEye, its free and will find all kinds of images. Worth trying.

al
Posted 6 years ago
One of my 1x published photos is on Wallpart.
Does 1x deals with it ?
Posted 6 years ago
Thanks, Alfred.

Michel, that was the first thing I thought but then I realized that some of my pictures there came from different sources, like Dark Beauty Magazine, my models' pages or others. There were like 150 pics there, I wrote to them and within 10 min there are only four to be seen now. It seems they are erasing them? No idea.

This post was edited 1 time. Last edited 6 years ago by Olga Mest
Posted 6 years ago
They have appropriated hundreds of my images, and have removed my copyright notice as well.

I have put together a "Whois" info sheet on them, including information for their domain supplier, Enom. I intend to pursue this, even though the site is in the Ukraine. However, the admin contact is in San Jose, CA., meaning that action may be taken under the Berne Convention Copyright laws.

I can't attach a photo here, so you'll have to go to my website to get the info if you need it:

www.tomoscott.com/wallpart-info

I have most of my images registered with the US Copyright Office. If you are in the US, and have had images appropriated by Wallpart or anyone else, you would be well advised to have them registered. Otherwise, companies like this are only liable for actual damages. If they are registered, the penalties can go up to $150,000 per image, including legal fees.
Posted 6 years ago
How is it possible that wallpart has apparently appropriated images in high quality? How did they get them ?
Posted 6 years ago
How is it possible that wallpart has apparently appropriated images in high quality? How did they get them ?

In most cases, for the tech savy it is not too hard to get a hold of a high res image if it has been uploaded. If it is on the internet somewhere someone will find a way to steal it.
Posted 6 years ago
They certainly don't have any high res images from 1x, as you can see most of their photos are only offered in 15x15cm or 20x30cm. You can basically take a screen grab from any photography site and print in that size. We will contact them and demand that all photos from 1x are taken down. However, legally speaking, it's up to the copyright holder to make claims against any infringement so I would suggest to contact them if you find your photos there. They have certainly no right to display them.
Posted 6 years ago
This is more than just a company attempting to steal your photos.

l. I went to their Facebook page which is completely bogus nonsense.

2. I called the phone number left by Tom (thank you) and it is bogus phone number. No company was identified. A recorded message came on. First they asked if I wanted to be a part of a survey and began asking questions - and when I did not respond by hitting buttons, after a few failed attempts they offered free vouchers,and then i listened to that offer and did not respond....and then the message said. Hang up Now. It repeated that a few times,and then a miserable sounding noise came on the phone.

3. Read the "about" at their website. They claim not to have any photos on their server but just offer what is sent to them by searches. However, they also allege to have access to Billions of photos.

4. I do not recommend going to this website. After clicking on the first photo or group o photos...you get the word 'more'....nothing is there but a number....When I clicked on the number, what I received was an ad of a TV set I had looked at yesterday. The only way I can see they would even have this information is if they have a way to go into your history and see were you have been.

I would have suggested contacting the Better Business Bureau in CA but when I put in their name - there is no such company.

This is a scam, and I am guessing what they really want is your credit card number. The main office is in Moscow, and CA is just a front.

It is easy to see why they would call themselves Wallpart which is quite close to Walmart - the biggest retailer in the US. The typos alone would bring them business.

If they have stolen your photos - like the did with Olga I would suggest letting Facebook know. At least FB might be able to take them down.

I would imagine they could generate a page like this and a phony website on the hour if needed.

Bogus...all bogus stuff. Except of course the photographs. And it is not just 1x photographers. When I checked a few names other websites came up also.

Perhaps someone else has more suggestions?

Phyllis

Posted 6 years ago
The registrant, Sergo Zuikov, is in Russia, so there's probably very little that can be done with him.

The URL for wallpart.com is 176.119.28.93. A who-is on this URL yields the following:

NetRange 176.0.0.0 - 176.255.255.255
CIDR 176.0.0.0/8
NetName RIPE-176
NetHandle NET-176-0-0-0-0
Parent ()
NetType Allocated to RIPE NCC
OriginAS
Organization RIPE Network Coordination Centre (RIPE)
RegDate 1993-05-01
Updated 2010-05-18
Ref http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-176-0-0-0-0
ResourceLink https://apps.db.ripe.net/search/query.html
ResourceLink whois.ripe.net
OrgName RIPE Network Coordination Centre
OrgId RIPE
Address P.O. Box 10096
City Amsterdam
StateProv
PostalCode 1001EB
Country NL
RegDate
Updated 2013-07-29
Ref http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/RIPE
ReferralServer whois://whois.ripe.net
ResourceLink https://apps.db.ripe.net/search/query.html
OrgAbuseHandle ABUSE3850-ARIN
OrgAbuseName Abuse Contact
OrgAbusePhone +31205354444
OrgAbuseEmail [email protected]
OrgAbuseRef http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/ABUSE3850-ARIN
OrgTechHandle RNO29-ARIN
OrgTechName RIPE NCC Operations
OrgTechPhone +31 20 535 4444
OrgTechEmail [email protected]
OrgTechRef http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/RNO29-ARIN

Note that there is an email address for abuse, which I assume includes copyright violations: [email protected] . That's who I'm going to contact next.

Also note that Ripe.net is not the same company as wallpart.com. They are simply the holder of the IP address range that wallpart.com is a part of.

This post was edited 1 time. Last edited 6 years ago by Tom O Scott
Posted 6 years ago
Here is the URL to file a report with ripe.net:

http://www.ripe.net/report-form

This is the text of what I put in the comments:

The domain wallpart.com (IP Address 176.119.28.93) has appropriated several of my images, duly registered with the U.S. Copyright Office, for sale on their site. I have never authorized the display or sale of my images through this domain. This is a violation of my copyright under the Berne Convention, and I want my images to be removed from this site immediately.
=====
attachment: name: wallpart-violation-001.jpg, size: 30358 bytes
attachment: name: wallpart-violation-002.jpg, size: 192495 bytes
attachment: name: wallpart-violation-003.jpg, size: 172362 bytes

I took screen shots of three of the images they had appropriated and uploaded them to the site.

Once you submit the form, they will email you back a verification. YOu have to complete that part, or the report will be deleted.
Posted 6 years ago
Thank you all for your answers. I suppose it's a risk we all take by simply living in a digital world. Phyllis and Tom, yours were really clarifying.
Posted 6 years ago
The only photo of mines that is now on Wallpart was only uploaded on 1x.
Must we think that every photo published on 1x may be stolen ?
Posted 6 years ago
Hi Michel,

I have searched on the names of several 1x photographers on the site and there seem to be a limited number of 1x photos that are available. As Ralf mentioned, they are not full resolution copies of the photos. The HD print files are not featured for display on 1x.

I have contacted Wallpart and asked them to remove all photos associated with 1x immediately.
Posted 6 years ago
I don't know if they just changed or added this information on their website but this in in their 'about' page:

WallPart Respect the copyright of others.
This means we don't steal photos or images that other people have shared and pass them off as your own.
We have no base of images, and doesn't host and store the image on servers.
Wallpart.com only helps the user to find the images interesting him, the site uses data of the most known third-party search engines.
Process of search happens at user's browser.
The user himself makes search queries, all content displayed in a window of the browser is received from third-party search engines.
The displayed images are loaded from third-party servers, and aren't host on the site hosting.
When the user make the order, we get the image from the user, he is responsibility for use.
Wallpart.com doesn't bear responsibility for the images received from users.
This post was edited 1 time. Last edited 6 years ago by Phyllis Clarke
Posted 6 years ago
I don't know if they just changed or added this information on their website but this in in their 'about' page:

WallPart Respect the copyright of others.
This means we don't steal photos or images that other people have shared and pass them off as your own.
We have no base of images, and doesn't host and store the image on servers.
Wallpart.com only helps the user to find the images interesting him, the site uses data of the most known third-party search engines.
Process of search happens at user's browser.
The user himself makes search queries, all content displayed in a window of the browser is received from third-party search engines.
The displayed images are loaded from third-party servers, and aren't host on the site hosting.
When the user make the order, we get the image from the user, he is responsibility for use.
Wallpart.com doesn't bear responsibility for the images received from users.

This "disclaimer" has always been there.
Now, suppose you take them at their word.
Someone sees your image on their site, and orders a 40" wide print.
Wallpart.com contacts you and says they have a customer.
Great, you think, how much do they want to pay?
$8.95! Just send us a high-res copy, and we'll take care of the rest.
The site is somewhere in Russia or the Ukraine.
Do you think you'll ever see that $8.95, even if you are crazy enough to sell a print for that little?
And what do you think happens to the customer's credit card info that was used to buy a print that cheaply?

Posted 6 years ago
I just mentioned what I read on that website, not what I think of it.
One of my images is there too, I hope they will remove our images from their website.
Posted 6 years ago
There 'About" at Walpart.com indicates they have no data base.

It would appear to be true. Can you see categories to choose artwork from? Can you see photographs apart from a few on the FP - which look like stock art.??

The only reason I can see that you are actually seeing your own images or those of someone else is because 'you' searched for them. Since they are in the data bases of say "google'....and other parts of the Internet....of course you will receive results when you search.

There is a petition from Change.org to take down the site and you can sign it if you like. You can find them here:

https://www.change.org/p/remove-wallpart-com-stealing-people-s-work-without-persmission

Lastly, none of this is about 1x. Any site which features a photo of yours could potentially be found if you search for it . I found artists and other websites.

This seems less like a place selling photos and more like a phishing scam for credit cards, then for actually selling artwork.If they did sell a photo that would b like a bonus.

My best,
Phyllis

Posted 6 years ago
Posted 6 years ago
It's not theft, but copyright infringement.
The images in question aren't stolen, but infringed upon. According to most photographers I'm being pedantic, but in the eyes of the law they are vastly different entities. One is a civil dispute while the other is criminal.
Posted 6 years ago
Just to let you know, it's a fake. You can't buy anything...a well done joke :)
Posted 6 years ago

Signed, thanks. Three of my pictures are there too. One from 1X, one from my site, and one from FB. The site is also redirecting like hell, so they might also earn from simulated ad clicks.
This post was edited 1 time. Last edited 6 years ago by Anna Golitsyna
Posted 6 years ago
But...they won't sell your photos, as said it's a well done joke (fortunately I'd say) :)
Posted 6 years ago
You can not pray to God and mammon. If you're a pro, and the photo is your job, then you should be professional able to defend your picture. If you're an amateur , then rejoice that your pictures are in demand and someone buys them. But the true value of all of us and our paintings will determine the future. Life is transient and art is eternal ! Success to all! :-)
Posted 6 years ago
HI Everybody,
I am not an artist, but I am a technician with artist friends. I have tracked these guys for about a week now contacting whoever I could. I will save you the back end geeky stuff. essentially if you want your stuff removed please email [email protected] If they are no longer reachable the registrar is [email protected] and they seem to know how to reach them.I have also reported some images to Disney and looked into taking further action. The rest I leave up to you.

best wishes