Olavo Azevedo: Photographer of the week
Share this article on
by Editor Yvette Depaepe
Olavo Azevedo's strong and beautiful work is essentially graphical, often minimalistic. He is a real master when it comes to play with forms, tones, contrasts and light to give his photographs a proper aesthetic approach.
Let's have a look on the man behind his images through this excellent and enriching interview.
Which are your most important experiences that has influenced your art?
Describe your overall photographic vision
What is more important to you, the mood,/story behind your images or the technical perfection?
Do you prepare carefully the locations where you are intending to photograph?
What gear do you use (camera, lenses, bag)?
What software do you use to process your images?
Can you tell us something more about your work flow?
- Look for simplicity;
- Look around for areas that are less confusing;
- Look for part that represents the whole! The whole often leads to disappointment.
- Look for patterns, shadows, repetitive shapes, colour contrasts, etc;
- Framing your images and give attention to the edges and corners, and work it
- Look for objects with potential, don’t look for great photograph;
- Maintain a positive attitude! Open the mind to see something new and creative;
- Explore! Move yourself. Get down, get up, look around, look inside, change your viewpoint, explore the scene from every angles, bend your knees. Put your camera down and explore the scene without it;
Is there any specific photo taken by another photographer that has inspired you a big deal and why?
Are there any specific directions that you would like to take your photography in the future or any specific goals that you wish to achieve?
Describe your favourite photograph taken by you and why it is special to you?
- Because it was the first photograph to be published in 1X
- Because it is an original work done in an ideal home setting whose contents were conceived and planned in detail to produce the specific effect of strong contrasts and with an incidence of light that allowed visual impact and which emphasized the shapes of the objects used, the light intensity, contrasts, patterns ...
- For demonstrating that to take pictures that transmit us pleasure, it is only necessary to have mental availability and some imagination ... and without leaving our comfort zone.
Is there anything else you wish to add and what do you think about 1X as a home base for your work?
Share this article on
Be inspired and stay updated with the latest curated images, interviews, tutorials, news and trends in photography.
Subscribe to RSS
Most read this month
Most commented this month